- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 medium (blank)s baby carrots, grated
- ¼ cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 3 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce (such as Sriracha®), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs
- ¾ cup unbleached flour, or as needed
- Cayenne pepper to taste (if you like spicy burgers)
Takes . Serves Four (depending on patty size).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
Mash black beans in a bowl; add onion, garlic, carrots, and green bell pepper. Mix.
Whisk cornstarch, water, chile-garlic sauce, chili powder, cumin, seafood seasoning, salt, and black pepper together in a separate small bowl. Stir cornstarch mixture into black bean mixture.
Mix whole-wheat bread into bean mixture. Stir flour, ¼ cup at a time, into bean mixture until a sticky batter forms.
Spoon 'burger-sized' mounds of batter onto the prepared baking sheet, about a ¾-inch thickness per mound. Shape into burgers.
Bake in the preheated oven until cooked in the center and crisp in the outside, about 10 minutes on each side.
Add the frozen veggie burgers to the Air Fryer Basket.
Set the temperature to 360 degrees F, air fryer setting,
Cook for 8-10 minutes. flipping halfway.